The NZ Skeptics are dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form.
This code of conduct applies to our NZ Skeptics Facebook groups:
Anyone who violates this code of conduct may be sanctioned or expelled from these groups at the discretion of the admins.
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, age or race.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of ‘dead’ or rejected names.
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour in spaces where they are not appropriate.
- Threats of violence.
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm.
- Deliberate intimidation.
- Stalking or following.
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
- Sustained disruption of discussion.
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease.
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse.
- Publication of non-harassing private communication.
The NZ Skeptics prioritise marginalised people’s safety over privileged people’s comfort. The admins will not act on complaints regarding:
- ‘Reverse’ -isms, including ‘reverse racism,’ ‘reverse sexism,’ and ‘cisphobia’
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you.”
- Communicating in a ‘tone’ you don’t find congenial
- Criticising racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behaviour or assumptions
If you are being harassed by a member of one of the NZ Skeptics Facebook groups, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact the admins via Private Message. If the person who is harassing you is an admin, they will recuse themselves from handling your incident. We will respond as promptly as we can.
This code of conduct applies to the NZ Skeptics Facebook groups, but if you are being harassed by a member of the NZ Skeptics Facebook groups outside of the groups, we still want to know about it. We will take all good-faith reports of harassment by NZ Skeptics Facebook groups members, especially admins, seriously. This includes harassment outside our spaces and harassment that took place at any point in time. The admins reserve the right to exclude people from the NZ Skeptics Facebook groups based on their past behaviour, including behaviour outside the NZ Skeptics Facebook groups and behaviour towards people who are not in the NZ Skeptics Facebook groups.
In order to protect volunteers from abuse and burnout, we reserve the right to reject any report we believe to have been made in bad faith. Reports intended to silence legitimate criticism may be deleted without response.
We will respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse. At our discretion, we may publicly name a person about whom we’ve received harassment complaints, or privately warn third parties about them, if we believe that doing so will increase the safety of the NZ Skeptics Facebook groups members or the general public. We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behaviour are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behaviour, the admins may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from the NZ Skeptics Facebook groups and identification of the participant as a harasser to other NZ Skeptics Facebook groups members or the general public.